Monday, May 24, 2004

OK, I'm Gildas...what's a Gildas?

My friend Arthur asked me the significance of my alias "Gildas Talmadge".



Funny how the obvious sometimes isn't!



I was in the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) and as part of the roleplaying you create an alternate personality, or persona. This persona should be (roughly) around the times of the middle ages. (OK, you Period Nazi's go away, this is a brief summation!) I was going historical research for an appropriate (also known as 'period') name and came across stories and information about Saint Gildas, one of the first historians attributed to writing (among other things) the Knights of the Round Table, King Arthur, etc. Being fascinated with the history and idea that a real person wrote history regarding something that is so often considered fantasy, I instantly decided it was a good name that had *meaning* to me.



The Talmadge comes from my distant relative. I always liked the sound of it and it had a period sound to it. Combine the two and you have the other me!



So there you go, how my alias came to be.n

No comments:

Post a Comment